Thursday, June 10, 2010

World Cup Eve!

It is the eve of the World Cup.  We are about as excited as we are at Christmas (which is REALLY excited).  In fact, I don't know if we'll get any sleep tonight.  Me, mainly because I don't sleep well anyway (what with the snoring and crazy children and all).  Billy, because he is way too hopped up (on excitement) to fall asleep!  My guess is (and I will confirm this later) he will stay up all night playing FIFA on the Xbox.

Anyway, in honor of the impending GREATEST month of soccer, I have attached a blog I wrote after the last World Cup FOUR years ago!  You can probably tell I was more than happy when Italy took the trophy.  I am sad to say I don't think they can repeat.  But that won't stop me from rooting for them.  Since my maiden name is DeLuca, I totally have the right to cheer on the Italian stallions!  (I'm pretty sure that should be the club name).

We will also be cheering on a few other teams:  The Netherlands, The Ivory Coast (should my ALL-TIME favorite player, Didier Drogba play through his broken elbow), England, and Germany. 

I must now go fill out the rest of my brackets (I have entered WAY too many).  To the rest of you, please join in watching the World Cup.  You won't regret it!  GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL(s) will be scored and you won't be able to contain your excitement.  Follow my blog throughout (if you're interested AND you should be).  I will post a lot, I promise!  And as mentioned before, here is the final blog I wrote from the last World Cup:




And indeed, i do!! I don't have too many words to express my happiness right now! I knew they could do it but I was biting my nails until Grosso sealed the deal! Mad props to the five pk kickers for Italy (Pirlo, Materazzi, De Rossi, Del Piero, Grosso)--you are the BEST!!

Also, I must give credit to Materazzi for kicking the goal in the 19th minute!


And the celebration continues on!!!!




And on!!!!



Captain, oh my captain!  Congratulations to Italy for the amazing victory!! You made all our dreams come true! And it has been my pleasure to write the blogs during the World Cup. But alas, it is over :( .  The trophy belongs to them!




Italia......we love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am amazed how into it you are. Poor Ivan married me.... He'd love it if I didn't leave the room every time he switches the channel to a sport. Wait, maybe that's why he does it...

Anonymous said...

Can't say that I love Italy or that I was particularly glad that they won last time. But, whatever! And, Italy's soccer, not so pretty. Not uglier than Germany's soccer, by any means, though.

I will be honest with you, during the last European Cup competition, I blogged much more about the national anthems than about the games. Oh well. We all have our thing.

Predictions for this year? Maybe somewhere South American? My only prediction is that Germany will not do so well. Sorry, four of our first choice players are out with injuries and our first choice for a goalie is, uh, no longer with us. Still in shock a little bit about that one.