Saturday, June 12, 2010

Really? A Draw?

Thank you, Robert Green for letting Mr. Dempsey score a goal.  Not really.  Don't get mad at me, readers, for my love of English soccer.  Ya see, I'm totally proud to live in the United States and I cheer them on in ANY sport, ANY time.  However, because I consider myself a "true" soccer fan, I watch the English premier league.  Almost all year long.  So my favorite players (some of them) play for England.  I will cheer for the United States when they aren't playing against the team I love.
That being said, I thought the game today was just okay.  I thought the ball spent most of the time in the air and not enough time on the ground.  I thought Tim Howard was AMAZING.  I thought England's super stars like Rooney and Lampard didn't show up to play.  Finally, I thought it was a lame ending to a much anticipated match.  Ending on a draw after a goal like Dempsey's (and an error by the keeper) made it cheap.  I'm glad it was a draw and not a loss.  But for England's sake, I'm sad they drew because of mistakes.  Humph.

Oh, there was another game on today?  That's right.  Argentina, with a power-packed line-up and a crazy coach (Maradona) showed up to play.  I thought they were going to blow Nigeria out of the water.  They didn't.  Chance after chance proved unsuccessful for Messi and company.  They won and that's great.  But I had predicted a 3-1 victory.

And the other game.  Yeah.  I didn't forget that one either....but maybe I should have.  South Korea was there but who was their opponent again?  Blake's U8 team?  Oh, no, it was Greece.  Holy cow, they were lazy.  They were running around like they had just eaten a ten course meal.  So by "running around," I mean they were really "barely jogging around."  They were slow and didn't really show excitement for showing up to what?  Oh yeah, the BIGGEST game they've played in four years.  Oh well.  Congrats, South Korea on a well-deserved victory.

I hope the games start to pick up.  Right now the pace is slow.  That means I get bored and start to do other things.  Like make fun of uniforms (didn't love the "sash" thing on team USA's), match my name up with the sweet names like Cherundolo.  Sarah Jane Cherundolo sounds pretty awesome.  It's cool, Billy likes it, too!  Maybe we'll all change our names. 

Or when I'm bored I am left to pick out the team's cutest players.  The winners of the day are:  John Terry for England:



Carlos Bocanegra for United States:


Gonazlo Higuain for Argentina:


And John Obi Mikel for Nigeria (he is injured and didn't play but he sure is cute):



But what would make a day better while watching a World Cup game?  David Beckham?  Yeah, that would work: 

Greece and South Korea?  Sorry, boys, I was too busy picking crumbs off my carpet during your BORING game.  I didn't get a chance to look for hotties!  Maybe next time!  (I don't think they read my blog anyway, so they won't get their feelings hurt)!

Until next time.........

2 comments:

The Miranda's said...

Thanks for keeping the world cup exciting with all your blogs! It makes me smile/laugh everytime!

Anonymous said...

We are going to Cincinnati for the day to spend the day with Ivan's step-sister. We went Saturday night to see her perform in Dreamgirls. She was amazing! Bella and I are going on Wednesday night. Front row baby!