Sunday, June 13, 2010

Red Cards, Penalty Kicks, and Germany! OH MY!!!!

Well if you wanted drama in the World Cup.....today you got it!  Thank you, teams, for listening to my pleas.  The morning game was still pretty boring.  Although I did enjoy looking at the Algerian and Slovenian players.  We know that's what I do, right?  So anyway, I predicted a draw for the game.  However, after Algeria went down to ten men (after the first red card of the Cup), Slovenia's captain (Koren) was able to pull off the goal.  It could have been saved by the keeper had he not let it go off his shoulder and into the back of the net.  He might want to chat up Rob Green.  Those two could probably share some laughs....like in a few years or something!  ;)

Game two brought even more drama.  Why?  Penalty kicks are always dramatic.  Here's a suggestion:  don't intentionally put your arm out in the box.  You will get carded and the other team will be rewarded the penalty.  DUH!  Poor guy will probably hear all about it from the Serbians.  And of course the penalty resulted in a goooooaaallllllll for Ghana!  Go Black Stars; the first African nation to win a game in an African World Cup!

Game three, oh how I love you, game three.  If you read my World Cup Eve blog, then you know I'm cheering for Germany.  I LOVE watching the Bundesliga and my favorite team, Bayern Munich, was well represented today.  It was an AMAZING game (unless you were cheering for Australia....then it was a TERRIBLE game).  But for me, I loved it!  The Germans came out ready to play.  They were fast!  They were aggressive!  They were hungry for a win.  They got it!  Germany was the first team to actually score 4 goals!  WOO HOO!  Of course, Australia's Tim Cahill got a red card in the 56th minute (unfairly, I think) so playing with ten men could have had something to do with it.  But also, Australia forgot to play defense so that could have been the major problem.  Or......maybe Germany is JUST THAT GOOD!

Tomorrow will also be a big day for me.  The Netherlands take on Denmark and Italy will challenge Paraguay.  I know there is another game, too.  Japan and Cameroon, I haven't forgotten about you.  But to be honest, I'm not all that interested.  Sorry.  But not really.

Today's favorite moments:  1.  Ghezzal (who has some seriously stylin' hair) getting a yellow card in the first ten seconds of getting on the pitch.  Then Ghezzal getting called for a hand ball, getting another yellow card, which resulted in a red. 

You can't really see how weird his hair is.  But....he is kinda cute!


2.  The Australian anthem.  It was awesome.  And since their team was NOT, I decided to include this in my favs!  Here is a version of it, though it doesn't sound as good as it did today (without the lady singing)!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo-2pIioGis

3.  Ghana's uniforms.  They were sweet.  And they won so that was cool!

I can't get that "limited stock" thing off.  Sorry.  Here is a photo of the penalty kick taken by Gyan.



4.  Germany.  Enough said.

Here they are looking dapper in their suits (arriving to South Africa).

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Sarah- my favorite part of these posts is knowing that at the end, there will always be a picture of a beautiful man. THANK YOU!

*A* said...

I'm not that interested in the world cup, but I do LOVE you!

Anonymous said...

Germany is good, but Australia is not. Even with 11 players on the field, Australia didn't have much of a chance.

Thank you Podolsky! Congratulations, Miro Klose, I hope this pulls you out of your slump.

Anonymous said...

I don't have any interest in the world cup, so I am going to comment with random facts about my day toay since I know how much you love comments. Ready? The painters are here as I type, painting my room. I hope Julianna can sleep through it.