Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Drogba Dilemma!

Wellllll......what can I say about today?  I can say that New Zealand scored in STOPPAGE time.  I might have been happy with the incredible comeback of the All Whites (team name).  But it messed up my bracket AGAIN! I had Slovakia winning and I was celebrating (a bit prematurely, I guess) their victory.  While sitting and anticipating goals, I was amazed at all the tattoos on the Slovakian gents.  I was also amazed with Hamsik (cuz he kinda looks like a porcupine and kinda like Mick Jagger).

The second game.  The game I had been waiting for:  The Ivory Coast vs. Portugal.  My FAVORITE player (and this time it isn't just "one of my favorite players"), Didier Drogba was counted IN!  If you are a follower of footie, you know Didier broke his elbow (yes, BROKE) about ten days ago.  I was about to forfeit even watching the World Cup because it wouldn't be exciting without the best striker in the world.  I followed his surgery and recovery!  I found out he would play today! 

He did "play."  But not really.  I'm glad it was a 0-0 draw.  I mean, as glad as you can be when you find out you have a flat tire, or you've locked yourself out of your house, or something.  So I wasn't really "glad" because I expected at least one goal.  And.....I don't think I would have chanced Drogba's health by playing him at all.  Granted, he didn't come in until the 65th minute(ish) but still.  They should have saved him since Portugal wasn't going all out.  Ronaldo had one very near miss at the beginning.  It was a beautiful strike that was once again (as seen with previous World Cup players) saved by the post! 

Finally, Brazil (the team we've all been waiting to see).  I expected a thrashing.  I predicted a 4-0 win for Brazil over North Korea.  2-1 wasn't anything to be too ashamed of (North Koreans).  I can't believe Brazil didn't score until the second half.  But when they did.....let me tell you, the goals were A-MAZING!!!!  Ivory Coast and Portugal, you better step it up when you play both of these teams.  You just might be surprised!

That's about all I have for today.  Things I loved: 
1.  Ivory Coast's uniform.

(Orange)

2.  Both Brazilian goals.
3.  Portugal guy's tats and Slovakian guy's tats.

Portugal's, Meireles

Slovakia's, Hamsik (Mick Jagger/porcupine look-alike)

4.  Didier Drogba.



Things I did not love:
1.  New Zealand scoring and messing up my bracket.
2.  All the "diving" in the Portugal/Ivory Coast game.
3.  Wasting a lot of hours watching teams NOT score.
4.  A few bad calls made by the refs (who have been doing a pretty good job, overall).

But Didier Drogba's entrance to the World Cup makes the things I didn't love, ALL better!  Thank you, Didier!  And I'm pretty sure when he reads this, he'd say, "You're welcome."

No comments: