Saturday, June 19, 2010

Media Mayhem!

Since most of the games today were boring, I wanted to focus on the scrutiny in the media!  All anyone (and by "anyone,"  I mean one particular writer on Yahoo) is talking about is how the ref cost the USA a World Cup victory.  A victory?  How could anyone know they would have won the whole thing?  That is the most preposterous presumption I have ever heard!  I agree that it was a bad call. I know that.  But how about the Clint Dempsey elbow thrown in the first ten seconds of the game?  That should have at least been a yellow card.

Anyway, there is more to the World Cup than arguing.  Or is there?  I'd like to argue that the USA debacle has trumped the Germany game's issues.  The USA did have a ton of bad calls but Germany got HOSED with all the yellow cards (and red card).  So yeah, media, why aren't you talkin' 'bout that?  Oh, because I don't live in Germany?  My German readers (Emily), please tell me the media over there is reporting about the TERRIBLE ref in the game yesterday!?!

And then I'd like to comment about the frustrations of other teams....like the French.  They are obviously distraught over their poor performances.  In fact, one player from the team (I actually do like), Nicolas Anelka, was sent home.  HOME.  Apparently he had a few negative things to say about his coach and he was sent packing.  Drama, drama, drama!

England is playing as poorly as I've ever seen.  I'm sure the media on the other side of the pond is criticizing their performances.  I am in shock that they might not advance out of this round.  Of all the World Cups.....

Oh well.  Today was a day that actually helped my bracket!  The Netherlands won (WOO HOO) 1-0.  I predicted the 1-1 draw (score and everything) between Australia and Ghana.  I loved the uniforms of team Cameroon.  Though they couldn't pull out the win (and are now eliminated), they sure looked stylish!


3 comments:

The Miranda's said...

I'm sure the other countries are bashing theirs teams who aren't playing well....and honestly, I can't believe how the world cup is playing out...where are the good teams again?

Anonymous said...

The media in Germany is talking about just how quickly those cards are being pulled, not only in the above mentioned game, but as a whole. This whole competition has been riddled with yellow/red cards that just did not have to be pulled out. It's insane. Just let these boys play their game, I say. Although this ref is by far the the quickest with the cards, and is known for it in his league, the FIFA is responsible for instructing the refs, and since it seems to be the general trend, it must be coming from there.

Oh, and USA didn't lose the World Cup, yet. I think they will be sent packing before it gets really close to a "victory," but the competition has not been decided for anybody except Cameroon.

*A* said...

Still not interested in all the sports, but I for sure still love you!!