Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Indy Monumental 5k!

I decided to run another race!  They are so fun!  I know I'm only doing short ones but not for long, folks!  Right after I finished the 5k, I went home and registered for the derby mini marathon in Louisville.  It will be my very first 13.1.  And I'm already nervous.  I'm trying to imagine what the night before the race will be like....and I can't come up with anything!  Medication may be needed! ;)

Anyway, the race Saturday was my first time running in cold weather.  I couldn't breathe because my nose felt like it was on fire.  I'm not sure if that's normal but whatever!  I kept going.  I finished at my normal 10 min/mile pace (slow, I know).  I came in 28th out of 107 in my age group.  And I got a medal.  Not much can be cooler than that!  Except for the wicked nasty (again....I'm still in Mr. Deeds mode and have to use the word 'wicked' all I can) cold I got right after the race ended.  Weird.

I didn't get any photos of my friend and I.  But Billy took one of me before I left (why yes, I do look ridiculously swollen and puffy...as I always do at 6:30 in the morning).  And I took one of June before the race began!  She did an awesome job and had to leave me behind at the end!  Which is fine.  She's a faster runner than I am and I hate holding people back!  We had a blast and I'm looking forward to the next race!



2 comments:

The R Crew said...

YAY!!! I'm so proud of you! What a great accomplishment! I ran a half in 2009 and it felt amazing. I'm so excited for you!

Cecilia said...

So cool! I totally want to run a few more 5K's before I don on the big half marathon. It's been a while, this post makes me remember how much fun those things are!