Tuesday, November 15, 2011

French Lick!

For those of you who HAVEN'T heard of this small town in Indiana, you may be wondering what on earth my title is talking about.  I admit....it's quite a ridiculous name.  But hey, we purchased a Groupon and we didn't even care about the name!  We wanted some forced family fun and by golly, French Lick, Indiana (Big Splash Adventure) provided us with just that!

Things we loved:

1.  The deal.  Oh yes.  It was a DEAL!  We bought the Groupon several months ago and I knew we'd be ready for a night away.  I was right.  I was also hoping where we were going would be comparable to The Great Wolf Lodge.  The Great Wolf Lodge it wasn't.  But for the price?  It WAS (awesome).

2.  Lazy river much?  Yeah.  We did.  Were we lazy?  NOOOOOPE.  For some reason, Blake was intimidated by the giant water slides.  So we spent most of the day chasing each other on inner tubes down the lazy river.  I'm sure everyone loved us whizzing by while they were trying to relax.  But hey, I ate a lot of pizza and I needed to burn off some calories! ;)

3.  The cleanliness of the pool/water slide area.  And the cleanliness of the hotel in general.  I give it four stars out of four stars.  It was THAT clean.

4.  The deal included food.  I should have attached this to number 1 but food always deserves its own number in the grand scheme of lists!  We got a large, two-topping pizza, an order of breadsticks, and four large drinks.  I should also mention that you get a complimentary hot breakfast.  Did we try it?  Um, no.  We accidentally slept in.  Sleeping is always better than food and should also get its own number on here but oh well....

5.  The room.  It was fun.  Was it all themed out like Great Wolf Lodge?  No.  But did it have bunk beds?  You know that's right (shout out to Burton Guster).

6.  The kids had a BLAST!  It was a surprise for Blake and he was over the moon when we arrived!  Little things like that make life GRAND!

Things we didn't like:

1.  And by "things we didn't like" I really mean, "things I didn't like."  First of all, the road the Queen (the name of my GPS) took us on for the final ten minutes into the great town of French Lick, made me want to vomit.  It was that bad.  I was in my "look straight ahead...nobody talk to me" mode.  I had to concentrate fully on not throwing up.  I curse that road.

2.  The fact that I had to don a bathing suit in November (clearly not a month I'm swimsuit ready....is there ever really a month I am?).  I was miserable.  So I hid in the lazy river all day and looked at all the gals who looked about ten times (or more) better than I did!  That's how I roll....

3.  Even though we had a king size bed and bunk beds in the room.....we all slept in the king size bed.  Random.  But it was fun (kinda).

4.  Everyone fell asleep early....except for me.  I was forced to watch Stanford get their trees (random mascot) kicked by the mighty ducks of Oregon.  And when I say forced....you know I really wasn't.  Oh how I love thee, football!!!

I can't think of anything negative, really.  Our one night in French Lick was rockin' and I recommend it to all those who were asking!  One thing we didn't do?  Drive by Larry Bird's childhood home.  Oh, I wanted to.  Time just didn't permit.  If I figure out a new way to get into the town (besides barfy road), I just might make another trip! :)

Please feel free to browse through my awesome, not at all blurry, iPhone photos! ;)












1 comment:

Cecilia said...

Looks like so much fun! And I can't even imagine why you worry about what you look like in a bathing suit. You are and have been and probably will always look better than your peers. Loved the review!