Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Seriously.

I know my posts are typically sarcastic but for once, I wanted to write something that's a little more serious.  This is my FAVORITE time of year.  And it isn't because I receive gifts (although that's pretty cool, too).  My favorite thing (besides the celebration of our Savior) is GIVING.  So here's a little bit about what is on my mind:

I feel like I've been in a bit of a funk lately.  I get down sometimes because I'm lonely.  My husband doesn't live here.  I don't see him very often.  My daughter has started making herself vomit before bed (for a week straight).  And I just feel like I'm a big ball of stress.  It isn't how I want things to be.  So last night, after the storm woke Lola up at 12:45 AM, I started thinking.  And I didn't just start thinking for the first time, really, I guess I was reflecting.  Things in my life, while at times stressful and crazy, are really pretty darn good.

My heart has been breaking a lot over the past several months.  But not for me.  It breaks when I look at Lola and am reminded that a sweet, young couple I know recently lost their 20 month-old little girl.  I can't even begin to imagine their sorrows.  It is at moments like those, or when Lola is waking me up or throwing up all over me, that I'm thankful I have her.  No matter what she is into, or what she is doing, I'm so happy she is healthy and mine.  I'm blessed with wonderful children who help me grow on a daily basis.  They are growing UP and I'm growing more and more on the inside.  They teach me so much.

My heart has been breaking for a dear friend who has to go through chemo again.  Yet she is an inspiration to us all.  She is a wonderful mother and friend.  And through everything she is dealing with, she finds time to serve others.  How awesome is that?  She truly is an amazing example and I'm glad to have her in my life.

My heart has been breaking for the family and friends of a high school acquaintance who passed away last week.  He was only a few years older than me.  And he died so suddenly.  When you hear information like this, it causes you to pause and think about your own life; how short it can be.  It makes you reevaluate your goals and your dreams.  It made me thankful to wake up today and have time to spend with my family.

Yes, the things on my mind weigh heavy.  But I'm trying to focus on the positive.  And that's my point.  While my heart has been breaking, my mind has been becoming more alive.  I started realizing that instead of having a pity party, I wanted to help others.  By doing so, I have been happier.  Sure, I still have days where I just sit at home alone and feel sorry for myself.  But most of the time, I'm staying busy and remembering that while my trials sometimes feel HUGE, they aren't nearly as huge as they could be.  These challenges have made me stronger.  And I'm glad that I have found happiness in serving others.  I'm so thankful for my blessings and for everything that life throws my way.  Sometimes I might not be able to handle these tribulations, but for today, at this moment, I can.

Because all blogs are better with pics....here is one from our most recent photo session!


3 comments:

*A* said...

You are such a sweet woman and I love you. I'm sorry you are hurting and how I wish I could curl up on the couch with you and talk. Hot chocolate for me and a diet coke for you! I will keep you and all your love ones in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Amen to all of what you said.

I wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving together.

Kelsey said...

What a great post! (yes, I stalk your blog on occasion :)) I was having some of those same feelings yesterday.