Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Tribute To A Fish!

Get your tissues ready!  I might need one! ;)  Seriously, though, I am very sad to say that our fish called Mike died Monday evening.  You may remember the blog I posted when we first got him.  I talked about what an amazing fish he was.  And boy was he.  Unfortunately, it was his adventurous nature that ultimately took his life.  :(  Apparently he jumped out of the bowl.  How was he discovered?  I went in to collect the trash from Blake's room and noticed that Mike wasn't in his bowl.  That was as far as I went.  Traumatized by it all, I yelled for Billy to come find the fish.  He found him on the floor next to Blake's nightstand.  He was actually still alive.  But he was barely holding on.  All of that is what made it so hard to take.  I can't stand to think of him suffering.  Blah.....

I honeslty felt (feel) like a major dolt with how I handled it all.  Who cries over the death of a fish (apparently ME)?!!  But I didn't cry at first.  I was convinced that our fish who had been with us almost two years, would somehow pull through.  Well, he didn't.  He swam around for about an hour before he took his last breath.  Then I cried.  When I was really sure he was gone, the tears just started flowing.  And for those of you who know me, you know I'm not much of a crier.  I'm not at all.  But this got to me....mainly, like I said, because I knew he died a traumatic death.  Also, he was a BIG part of our daily routine over the last couple years. 

So I didn't just say goodbye to a silly old fish.  I said goodbye to the awesome fish who nearly jumped out of his bowl whenever we fed him (he got that excited).  I said goodbye to the first thing I saw when I woke Blake up every morning (he lived, as I mentioned, on Blake's nightstand).  I said goodbye to the only way I could get Lola to come up and get ready for bed.  She LOVED to feed Mike and did it every night.

I guess living without my husband (not by choice) for the last year and a half has turned me into a softy (or a mental case...).  I can't help it.  Sometimes I go days without having any adult interaction.  So many's the time, it would make me happy just to go hang out in Blake's room and watch Mike swim around.  Weird?  Maybe.  But he truly did bring us joy.  Lola can't understand where he's gone and just keeps saying she "needs him."  *SNIFFLE*  I miss him already.  :(

I know he wasn't a dog.  Or a cat.  Or even a bird.  But by golly, he was part of our lives.  He brought us such happiness.  So it only makes sense that in his absence, we are sad.  We loved you, Mike.......

3 comments:

Blake Fourteen said...

So very sad...nothing else left to say. We miss you Mike!!!

Anonymous said...

I can totally understand that you cried. I would, too. I'm sorry you've lost your friend the fish.

E.G.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, sarah, I am so sorry for your loss!! We too had a fish die that way! We were living in MI. I was out of town and he called me. He said: I have really bad news. My heart about jumped out of my body. I thought something had happened to one of the kids the way he was acting. Nope, the fish had jumped out while he was work and met its end. So, next time you are here, you can comiserate with Ivan because to him, it was the worst news ever. Me, on the other hand want to tell you to GET OVER IT! Just kidding!!!